Saturday, October 11, 2008

Divorce in the Last Frontier

Sarah Palin talks so much about family values and work ethic, one might suppose that Alaskan culture might be supportive of women in need.

As a small business owner and abused wife I have spent the last two and a half years going through the maze that is the Alaska court system. My experience and that of other women I have met lead me to believe that this is a man's state when it comes to divorce.

My "law and order" judge is from Ms. Palin's stompin grounds, the Mat Su Valley. With 15 years as Palmer district attorney and a career in the Judge Advocate General's office, one might expect his Honor to enforce his own court orders and not further victimize the victim. This, however, has not proven to be the case.

A divorce was granted at the request of my husband who was cheating. He wanted to to walk away fast and easy without dealing with the "business" of getting the divorce. Although Alaska state law requires a property settlement to be part of a divorce, I never got any property settlement-or much of the property.

Alaska Statue states that a judge MAY NOT grant a divorce with a property settlement reserved for another time unless both parties agree, or it can be proved that the property will be protected. Unfortunately I was not afforded the protections required by state law and due to this violation of due process, lost almost all the property in the business I started with my ex. I nearly lost the house as well, but because I dug in my heels and fought, the home was returned to me... after I was evicted.

i can't tell you how many times seemingly intelligent folks have told me this cannot happen. Do they think I imagined this? Yes, it really happened. Now the State
Supreme Court has to figure out what to do about it.

No comments: